Wednesday, June 18, 2008

What It's All About

IHS graduation 002 IHS graduation 003 Last night I had the pleasure of watching students from my first year of teaching graduate from Interlake High School. I was amazed by how grown up they all looked. I guess 7 years will do that!  I went to the ceremony with two other fellow teachers, Matthew and Nyla, and we had a blast identifying past students. As there always is at any milestone celebration, there was lots of advice. But one piece stood out to me from the others. It came from the faculty speaker, who had been chosen by the seniors to speak at graduation. He said this-think of your life like a bar of soap....if you hold onto the bar too tightly or too loosely, it will shoot out of your hands. Hold onto the soap just enough and it (your life) will do what it is supposed to do. I like this analogy, and I think that it is great advice for all of us. Aren't we all holding onto the bar of soap too tightly at times?

 

IHS graduation 004After the ceremony, I got a chance to visit with many of my former students. I loved hearing about their college plans (especially those who have chosen to attend UW). They were all so grateful--and surprised--that we had come to watch their graduation.  This picture is with a couple of girls who I have kept in touch with over the years. Jaime, on the left, is going to UW next year and Katy, on the right, will be attending Western. 

 

I left the graduation ceremony feeling a renewed passion for my profession. How many times have I wondered if the day to day lessons and drudgery of teaching are making any impact. It is easy to fall prey to pessimism and say that what I do doesn't matter. Seeing all of those students walk across the stage and receive their diplomas reminded me that it all does matter. For one year, I journeyed with those students. I got to share in their triumphs and their failures. Being a teacher means I have the privilege of being a guide, a witness, and a cheerleader on a child's academic journey. How cool is that?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - Header Frame by Pixels and Ice Cream
Sponsored by Free Web Space