Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Christmas 2010

I’ve always loved Christmas, but this year I saw it with new eyes—those of my two sons. The magic and the excitement of stockings, and Santa Claus, and reindeer’s hooves on the rooftop. The wonder of a child’s birth, of Wise Men traveling great distances, of LOVE coming down on that first Christmas. I found pure joy in watching my boys experience all of these things.

Christmas 001 Our Christmas celebration began on Christmas Eve at Auntie Jane and Uncle Tom’s house. We nibbled on tasty snacks and opened presents before heading to church.  The boys were excited to open their gifts—but were completely surprised by the treasure hunt at the end that led them to the back of Grandma and Grandpa’s car and to their JEEP!

 

Christmas 005Christmas 014  Christmas 011

Christmas 013 Christmas 017

I think the pictures speak for themselves—this gift was a hit!

We went to a late afternoon service at church designed specifically for families with young children. The boys got to see the Christmas story come alive through song and a short play. Jack had been practicing some of the songs that I thought we might sing at the service, so he was ready to sing.

After church we went back to our house for a simple meal of clam chowder (one of the boys’ favorites). The boys were completely exhausted and it didn’t take much convincing for them to get into their new Christmas jammies and head to bed. Before retiring for the evening, Tom and I set up the video camera on a tripod aimed down the hall. We were ready to capture the boys as they ran down the hallway in the morning to see what Santa had left them. Tom even had the remote control to turn on the video camera. We were ready.

Christmas morning the boys awoke around 6:30. Jack busted out of his room and down the hall followed by a frantic Tom trying to hit the remote to turn on the video camera. Sadly, Jack was too quick and we didn’t record it, but we did manage to get a lot of other great video of the boys opening their stockings.

Christmas 036Christmas 037 

Santa brought Jack a Buzz Lightyear and Emmett a train/lego table for his room.

Christmas 040 Christmas 047

Emmett takes a break from opening presents to have a drink and play with his new tractor.

Christmas 051Christmas 006

The boys play Hungry Hippos. And pause for long enough to let us take a picture.

Christmas 003But one picture was enough. They wanted to play some more.  

We took nearly an hour to open presents—much longer than I thought it would take. Not because we had so many to open, but because each present the boys opened they then wanted to play with for a while. Tom and I drank a whole pot of coffee, the family stayed in our pajamas most of the morning, and we had an absolutely perfect Christmas morning.

This was the first time we had been at our own home for Christmas morning. It was so special to wake up and have that time as a family.  I must have told Tom a dozen times that this was exactly the way I had envisioned our Christmas morning to look. It was wonderful.

Christmas 048At around noon, my parents,Matt and Joanna, and GG arrived. We snacked some more and opened more presents.

 Christmas 018

Christmas 046 Christmas 032

The boys were excited to open more presents.

Christmas 054    Jack got a Frosty the Snowman train from Matt and Joanna. Boppa and Matt helped him set it up. For the rest of the day, that little train chugged along the track blowing its whistle. Jack discovered that he could stand over the train and be a tunnel. He thought this was the coolest thing.Christmas 055

 

 Christmas 058

Christmas 027 Christmas 026 After presents we sat down to an unconventional Christmas dinner of salmon, risotto, and green beans.  Tom has always wanted to have seafood on Christmas day. And although I’m not sure that this is what we’ll always eat, it was delicious and fun to make. I had fun setting the table using my new Christmas dishes from Tom’s parents.

Once dinner was finished we just sat around, drank coffee, let the kids play with their toys, and talked. It was so comfortable and fun. Our new home easily accommodates guests and Tom and I had a blast hosting. It was a lovely day filled with all good things—truly a blessing.

Christmas 030So if we didn’t get to tell you in person,

we wish you a very Merry Christmas

and may goodness find you always in 2011.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Hi Melissa! I so enjoy reading your blog but don't comment enough. Your Christmas sounds perfect and the scenario of Tom stumbling down the hall trying to get the remote to work had me cracking up! Will you e-mail me your mailing address so I can send you a picture? ragrice@spu.edu
Keep enjoying those boys - you are great parents! So glad you are able to stay home, isn't it a blessing!
Love,
Rachel ;-)

Adam and Isabel Gehr said...

It was fun for us, two OLD relatives (great,great uncle and aunt of Jack and Emmet,- Adam and Isabel Gehr) to read about the birthday party and Christmas. We loved the Christmas card with the boys pictures and the blog spot address was on it - so with our limited computer skills we did manage to access it. I'm not sure if you will get this or not since I haven't tried this before. Anyway it has been fun for us!!

Melissa said...

Adam and Isabel-so glad you've checked out our blog and hope that you'll continue to do so! We try to keep it fairly up-to-date with the happenings of our family.

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - Header Frame by Pixels and Ice Cream
Sponsored by Free Web Space