As I mentioned in my post about raspberry picking, this is the year that I decided to try my hand at canning. I’ve made freezer jam in the past, and it is so easy and delicious, but I have limited freezer space. And it wasn’t even a question about whether or not I’d make raspberry jam, our family loves enjoying it over the winter!
I borrowed my mom’s canning supplies. I love the vintage canning book, which cost a whopping 50 cents!
No fancy recipe for me, I simply followed the MCP Premium Fruit Pectin’s directions.
Step 1: Bring a large pot of water to a boil. This takes a LONG time. My biggest discovery about canning is that it is all about timing. Thankfully, if you follow the directions step by step, the timing all works out.
Step 2: Pour boiling water over the lids and let them sit in the water until ready to use.
Step 3: Wash jars in soapy water and fill with warm water. I added the part about leaving them filled with warm water. I decided to do this because I had read on some blogs that it was good to have the jars warm when you put the piping hot jam into them.
Step 4: Place berries in a bowl and smash them. I used this wooden masher from my mom, but a potato masher, or spoon would work too. Mash berries well, but leave small bits of berries in tact for a good consistency. Once mashed, measure exactly 6 cups of berries and place in a saucepan.
Step 5: Measure 8 1/2 cups of sugar in a bowl.
Step 6: Add pectin and 1 tablespoon butter to berries in saucepan and bring to a full boil. Stir continuously. The butter stops the berries from becoming too frothy.
Step 7: Once berries have come to a full boil, boil for 4 minutes exactly. Stir the whole time.
Step 8: Pour jam into jars. Fill jars until about 1/8 inches from the top. Wipe rims with a damp cloth and put lids on. My counter looked a bit like a scene from a horror movie after this step!
Step 9: Seal jars in a water bath. Place jars on a wire rack and lower into the boiling water. Make sure jars are covered with 1-2 inches of water. Place lid on pot, return water to a full boil and boil for 10 minutes.
Step 10: Remove jars from water bath and cool on a towel. Jam will need about 24 hours to fully set. As jars cool, you’ll hear the lovely pop of the tops as they seal. Test seal by pressing down the center of the jar. If it doesn’t move, you’re sealed!
And there you have it, fresh jam all year long!
0 comments:
Post a Comment