These painted spoons are a relatively easy craft that can be accomplished in an afternoon. A friend and I made these to give as party favors at a friend’s birthday party.
Start with new wooden spoons. I found mine at Fred Meyer. A 3-pack was $0.99.
Using painter’s tape, create your lines. Note: don’t rush this part. It is important that the tape is tight and that the tapes lines up. If the tape is loose, the paint will seap. If it isn’t lined up, you’ll have crooked lines. ;)
Begin painting. We used acrylic craft paint. You can buy this at any craft store like JoAnn Fabrics or Michaels. It ranges in price from $0.69 to a few dollars.
The paint takes several coats. I found that the coats only took minutes to dry, but you could easily do this part of the craft in shifts, which is crucial if you are trying to accomplish this while caring for little ones.
Once the painting is complete, remove the painter’s tape (which I find to be the most exciting part!).
The final step is to seal the paint with a non-toxic shellac. Spray only the painted handle. We used this:

Zinsser Bull’s Eye Clear Shellac
The shellac gives the paint a glossy finish. Aren’t they cute? Kind of makes you want to grab all of your wooden cooking utensils and give them a makeover, doesn’t it? Do it!
0 comments:
Post a Comment