So I suppose I’ve been on a bit of a craft binge lately. I get that way when the weather starts getting colder and I spend more time on Pinterest. I seem to find myself continually saying I can make that! and then the projects begin…
My friend is hosting a holiday craft party this weekend (so excited) and I volunteered to bring a craft. So I’ve been on the lookout for some good projects. After my last failed endeavor with the Sharpie Monogrammed Plate, I wanted a success. Enter the snowmen. I found the idea for these cute little guys on Pinterest and then modified them a bit to my liking.
Materials Needed:
a pair of tube socks
a pair of kids’ mittens
rice or barley
2 rubber bands
scissors
embroidery floss, buttons, needle/thread, ribbon or whatever embellishments you choose
Step One: Find a pair of old tube socks. Yes, they can be used, even have holes in them. See how stained the pair I found are? Just don’t tell my husband that I stole a pair of his socks for this! Cut the tube part of the sock off and discard the foot part of the sock (pictured below).
Step Two: Turn the tube inside out and close one end with a rubber band. I didn’t take a picture of this step, but picture making a mini ponytail out of one end of your tube. Doesn’t matter which end.
Step Three: Turn tube right side out and fill with rice. I made one with rice and one with barley; use whatever you have on hand. Push the rice down so that the sock stretches a bit. Fill until you have the desired plumpness for your snowman. Then use another rubber band to close the tube.
Step Four: Cut your mittens. In the original plan I found, the person used ankle socks. I didn’t have any cute socks around, so I used some old mittens that my boys used to wear. Cut one mitten right above the thumb. Cut the other closer to the top, so that you have one mitten “body” that is bigger than the other.
Step Five: Dress your snowman. This part was the best for me. It took me back to my childhood and dressing up my Barbies and Cabbage Patch Kids. Start with the larger hand and then overlap with the smaller one.
When I put the small mitten on, I bunched it up a bit and then created a roll neck sweater for my snowman by rolling the top of the first mitten down.
Use the larger tip of the mitten as a hat.
Step Six: Embellish. Everything I used for my snowmen came from around my house. I used embroidery floss to create the eyes. I just threaded it through the sock with a plastic needle and tied a knot. I kind of got lucky with the carrot nose. I was digging around in one of my craft tubs and found them. No idea where I got them. I often collect craft bits and pieces from family members. Maybe my mom gave them to me? If you don’t have something like this, you could use the tip of a crayon or a bit of plastic. I sewed my embellishments on, but you could easily hot glue them too.
And there you have it, snowmen! Aren’t they cute?
1 comments:
Keep the posts coming!! I love this snowman idea and think the kids are at the right age to help. Since I don't visit Pinterest I am happy to have you share here about projects that work!!
Post a Comment