We’ve been wanting to update our fireplace screen for some time. The antiqued brass just dated the fireplace and we wanted it gone. We found a great replacement at Home Depot for $200. Simple, black, and modern. We got it home and immediately took off the old, dated screen, throwing it outside. We couldn’t wait to get the new screen on. After nearly 2 hours of agonizing and frustrating attempts, we surrendered and accepted that the new fireplace screen was not going to work. We couldn’t get it secured, it didn’t sit flush with the brick, and for $200 we didn’t want to risk that it would just fall off. So, we sat back depressed looking at the gaping hold in our fireplace, not certain what to do.
Then, inspiration hit. I love following home improvement blogs and I thought back to several posts I’ve read on different blogs about spray painting various things in households. Why not spray paint our old fireplace screen? It might fail miserably, but at just under $5 for the spray paint, I had very little to lose.
I found this tutorial online with a fireplace screen nearly identical to ours and went to work.

Here is the paint that I used. It cost only $4.34 at Home Depot!
After a few hours of work, here is the finished product. Not too shabby for under $5!
0 comments:
Post a Comment