I loved making sugar cookies as a child during the Christmas season. They were (and still are) my mom’s holiday signature treat. Her recipe comes from good ole’ Betty Crocker. I remember this book as a child and the many cookie recipes that we used from it.
I love the way that cookie is spelled in the title. This book came out in 1963, and the pictures and whimsical sketches in it are a reflection of that time. When I got married, my mom got me my very own copy of the book and I now use it for many of the cookies I love!
The sugar cookie recipe that my family has always used is called Ethel’s Sugar Cookies. I have no idea who Ethel is, but her recipe has become a part of our family!

Ethel’s Sugar Cookies
3/4 cup shortening (I use unsalted butter)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
Mix shortening, sugar, eggs, and flavoring thoroughly. Stir flour, baking powder, and salt together; blend in. Chill at least 1 hr.
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Roll dough out on lightly floured board. Cut with cookie cutters. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Bake 6 to 8 minutes (I usually pull them out around 6 min. because I like them soft) or until cookies are a delicate golden color.
Makes about 4 doz. cookies (if using small cookie cutters)
And once the cookies are made, the decorating can begin! My family is a fan of buttercream frosting, but you could use your favorite recipe (or just use the stuff that Betty herself sells at the store!). This recipe also hails from the Cooky book.
Butter Icing
2 1/2 tbsp. soft butter
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 tbsp. cream or milk
3/4 tsp. vanilla
Blend butter and sugar together. Stir in cream/milk and vanilla until smooth. Add more powdered sugar or milk to get desired consistency.
Then have fun frosting.
Decorating.
And tasting your delicious creations. My boys sure did!
Enjoy!
Melissa
2 comments:
I am going to make these for a cookie exchange tomorrow I think! Hope you guys are doing great. Merry Christmas!
-Megan
David and I started making these today and will frost tomorrow. I've always stayed away from sugar cookies but am excited to incorporate them into our holiday baking. Thanks, Melissa!
Rachel
Post a Comment