As anyone who knows Jack can tell you, his binky has been staple in his life since nearly day one. We’ve been talking more and more lately with Jack about giving up his binky since he is getting close to age 3. Jack has been hot and cold on the idea—one minute he seems ready to give his binkies to Santa (so that Santa can give them to babies who really need them) and the next minute he is frantic that he might be without one.
Last week I just decided to go for it. We had been to TJ Maxx and Jack had found a boat and lighthouse that he wanted for his Thomas train set. I told him that if he gave his binkies to Santa, he could earn that toy. He agreed. We went home, wrote a letter to Santa, packaged up the binkies, and took them to the mailbox. Then we made a chart to put on the refrigerator. Throughout that day, and the ones to follow, we put stickers on the chart until finally Jack earned his toy. He’s done remarkably well, and although there are still times during the day when he screams, “Oh, but what can I suck on?” he has hardly missed the thing. He is still sleeping with a binky, but I figure that won’t be hard to get rid of eventually.
I’m so proud of my big boy and his strength in kicking the habit. As someone who sucked her thumb until she was WAY too old (like 4th grade), I know how hard it is to stop. My little man amazes me again.
0 comments:
Post a Comment