Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Welcome, Emmett Thomas

hospital 024 Early Tuesday morning we welcomed Emmett Thomas into our family. He was born at 6:36am, weighing 7 lbs. 11 ounces, and 20 1/2 inches long. He is absolutely adorable, though we are a little bias, and his big brother already loves him to pieces! Today's post will focus on the hospital and Emmett's birth. I promise more pictures in the days to come!

Emmett’s Arrival:

hospital 005 Emmett didn't take long to enter this world. I started early labor around midnight and waited until about 2:30 to tell Tom. We called Jane and she made a middle of the night trip to our house to stay with Jack. By the time we got to the hospital it was about 3:30 and I was still feeling really good. My contractions were starting to get more intense, but were still bearable. hospital 006When they examined me at check-in, I was already 5cm dilated! I was still doing well with my contractions, despite the fact that they poked and prodded me for nearly an hour trying to get an IV into me. They finally did, and by this point I was ready for some pain relief. However, when the doctor checked me, I had already progressed to 8cm and was entering transition! She told me that they could attempt an epidural, but that I would most likely deliver before it took effect. So, Ihospital 012 went for it without any drugs!  Transition was intense, but once I made it to the pushing part, it only took four really big pushes and Emmett was here!  I got to hold him immediately, and he was calm and alert. Then they took him to examine him, and Tom spent some time with him while they weighed and measured him.

hospital 009 Now that he was here, we had to decide on a name. We had a few names coming into the hospital that we liked, but since we couldn't decide, we thought we'd wait until we saw the little guy to make our decision. It took us nearly an hour before deciding on Emmett. Tom said that he just felt like that was his name as he interacted with him. hospital 028Another deciding factor was Jack. We've been asking Jack what the baby's name should be and he has always said Emmett when choosing from the choices we gave him. So there you have it, Emmett, which means strong and industrious, won out. Once we had a name, we could introduce him to the rest of the family. As you'll see from the pictures below, Emmett was surrounded by love that very first day of life.

hospital 050 

hospital 051

Lots of kisses from the big bro.

hospital 053

And from Daddy, too.

hospital 045

Jack’s “I’m a Big Brother” t-shirt.

hospital 014 

Now a family of four.

hospital 025

The Nanas ogle over their newest grandson.

hospital 027

The Boppas are pretty proud, too.

hospital 026

Auntie Jane

hospital 055

Emmett ready to leave the hospital and head home.

2 comments:

Robin said...

congrats rodda family! i like checking your blog from the link on megan's - and i can't believe you went for it w/o drugs! man oh man. it's a beautiful name and looks like jack will be an amazing big brother. it'd be great if my girls and your boys could meet up one day - they're each just a month apart!

robin (and mark) bunch

Rachel said...

Congrats Melissa, Tom, & Jack!! I love hearing great delivery stories and yours sounds about as perfect as can be hoped for! Enjoy this time of adjusting to a family of four and getting to know precious little Emmett!!

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - Header Frame by Pixels and Ice Cream
Sponsored by Free Web Space